Don’t worry, this isn’t a post about losing weight. It’s a post about trimming the fat from my life. You see, I’ve always been someone with many interests. Too many, if I were to be honest with myself. The downside of this is that a lack of time needed to indulge my interests has led me to be depressed at times in the past. However, the upside is that I’ve learned to prioritize what’s really most important. When talking to my wife the other night I realized just how far I’ve taken this idea of prioritization.

I used to watch a TON of TV, mainly sports, and never missed a Celtics or Saints game. Now, I rarely watch TV, even sports. When I do watch TV, I’m usually working on my laptop or reading to multi-task.

I used to watch a couple of movies a month. Now, Leah and I go to the theater only on rare occasions.

I used to play video games. Now, I seem to do that only when visiting my brother-in-law (1-3 times a year) who is a big gamer.

I used to play guitar. Now, I play once in a blue moon.

I used to exercise 5-7 days a week. Now, I exercise to do it 2-4 days a week and usually for less time.

I used to sleep 6-7 hours a night on average. Now, I sleep 5-6 hours a night. Obviously, some of these changes such as less sleep and exercise are not exactly positives. However, the point I’m making is that when I really want something in my life, I make time for it. Right now my priorities are the following, in order:

  1. God – A no brainer.
  2. Family and friends – Another no brainer.
  3. Work – Because I have to pay the bills.
  4. Writing – In a perfect world, this is what I’d really be doing for a living.

Every one of the dozens of other interests I have, I cram into the few rare minutes of free time I have in between time spent on those four items.

Next time you complain that you don’t have enough time to get things done, re-evaluate your life and trim the fat.

, , , ,

One Response so far.

  1. Mike says:

    "If you really want something in my life, you'll make time for it."

    Exactly. So I changed your words up a bit, but same difference. I hate when people say, "Oh, I'd like to do such and such, but I just don't have time for it." That's a load of bull. If you want something bad enough, you'll go out and get it. I wonder how you have time to write as much as you do, but you obviously wanted to do that more than some of those other things you mentioned.

Leave a Reply