With 2011 officially over, I wanted to do my top 5 albums for the year with a few thoughts. Enjoy!

5. In Flames – Sounds of a Playground Fading
In Flames is one of my favorite bands of all time. Although their sound has changed drastically from their early stuff, I still like their last few efforts a lot. That being said, I feel this wasn’t necessarily a great album by their standards, but a strong album nonetheless.

Sounds of Playground Fading


Deliver Us


4. Megadeth – Th1rt3en
Another solid album by a band that is making great music again. The guitar work over the last 2-3 albums has just been amazing.

Public Enemy No. 1


New World Order


3. Trivium – In Waves
This album has gotten better to me with each listen and is probably my favorite by them so far.

In Waves
The title track has one of the heaviest opening groves. Just awesome. I dare you not to bang your head to it. The intro ends around the 1.5 minute mark.


Shattering the Skies Above


2. Anthrax – Worship Music

Anthrax is awesome. Admittedly, I’m more of a Bush-era fan than Joey-era fan. However, I love all of their stuff regardless of what year it was released. For me, this is their best album with Joey on vocals. Really looking forward to what they do next.

I’m Alive
This song is so unbelievably catchy.


The Devil You Know


1. Machine Head – Unto the Locust
This was a really tough choice, but when it came down to it, I just can’t stop listening to this album. I’m not sure if it’s Machine Head’s best efforts, but it’s really close. Such a great band.

Darkness Within
The lighter intro is so great on this song. My favorite on the album.


Who We Are
Best use of kids singing since Pink Floyd’s Another Brick in the Wall. Ha.


The Sentinel (Judas Priest Cover)
Since this album is my number one choice, I’ll throw in an extra song which is actually a cover of my second favorite band of all time. I usually hate covers, but I really like this version of the song.


So, what were your favorite releases from 2011?

,

3 Responses so far.

  1. Keith Stonehart says:

    2011 releases?... That's gonna be tough.. It's probably gonna make me sound old, but I just didnt really "feel" much of the music released last year.. but did like these tasty morsels..

    5. Cage the Elephant- Thank you , Happy Birthday
    4. Social Distortion - Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes
    3. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
    2. Skindred - Union Black
    1. Bullet for my Valentine - Fever (although I dont think it was released in 2011 but late 2010)...

  2. Man, your number 1 choice really surprises me. I've never understood what makes that band appealing to so many people. Within that genre, I'd take Shadows Fall, Trivium, As I Lay Dying, and All That Remains over Bullet for my Valentine.

    But, to each his own. Thumbs up on the Foo Fighters album though. :)

  3. Mike says:

    A list completely made up of metal. I'm not surprised. Just saying. I always have trouble coming up with lists like these, although I think my top 3 would go like this:

    1. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
    2. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two
    3. Anthrax - Worship Music

Leave a Reply