I’m a big comic book fan and more specifically, I’m a big DC comics fan. Don’t get me wrong, I like many of Marvel’s characters but I’ll take Batman, Flash, Superman, Aquaman, and so on over Marvel’s flagship titles any day.

That being said there are several potentially great comic book movies coming out. The ones making the most noise are The Avengers and of course The Dark Knight Rises (WOOHOO!). I’m really liking what I’ve seen and read from both movies so far. However, the movie that is surprising me the most is the new Spiderman movie.

Originally I thought this reboot was done too soon after the Sam Rami movies and a big mistake. However, from what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t be surprised if I like it far more than the Raimi films.

Here are a few reasons why:

  • They’ve de-aged Peter Parker and made the story focus around his high school years.
  • They brought in the mysterious elements about his parents.
  • The Lizard. I like that they didn’t start off with the Green Goblin again. Goblin is to Spiderman as Joker is to Batman. Nolan in Batman Begins used a ‘classic’ but lesser known villain to start things off so the focus would be on Batman and not the Joker. I think this same strategy works for Spiderman too. Plus, by using a different villain (at least initially) with the Lizard, there will be fewer comparisons to the first Rami film.
  • Andrew Garfield. I thought Toby McQuire did a good job as Spiderman, but Garfield more closely resembles the character in the comics to me.
  • The sarcasm seems to be turned up. One of the best things about Spiderman is his quick wit and ability to make jokes regardless of what’s going on around him. The original films did this a little, but not to the same level that I would have liked. Watch the trailer below and you can see that this Spiderman is kind of a jerk to the criminal element which is what you would expect from a teenage superhero.
  • The costume design looks cooler.
  • The action looks much cleaner. I know Garfield actually performed most of his stunts for the film and there seems to be less of a reliance on CGI (definitely a plus in my book).
  • WEB-SHOOTERS!!! Like many fanboys the lack of web-shooters in the first movie drove me absolutely nuts and was a missed opportunity to showcase Peter’s intelligence.

Check out the trailer below.



What do you think?

,

Leave a Reply