Most people in the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal world are familiar with the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM). The movement occurred back in the late 70s and early 80s when British heavy metal bands hit the US airwaves. Several bands made it big in the US as a result of the movement, most notably Iron Maiden.

A band part of the movement that for some reason never made it as big as they should have was Saxon. It’s hard to imagine why. Strong vocals, a big sound with great riffs/solos, consistent quality of music, and so on. I’m ashamed to admit that I was late in discovering them, only becoming a fan a few years ago. Since then, I’ve really fallen in love with their music as they represent all that is great about Hard Rock/Heavy Metal.

Here are a few of my favorites. Listen especially to the last track which is by far their biggest hit.

\m/

747 (Strangers in the Night)


Live version of one of the heaviest riffs ever written – Wheels of Steel


One of the greatest Rock anthems – Denim and Leather

,

One Response so far.

  1. Mike says:

    I wrote these guys off for a long time. I just figured they were cheese. You played some stuff for me in ATL once that I thought was alright. Maybe I'll have to actually give them a real listen.

Leave a Reply